Friday, May 26, 2006

Amazing How Slow Things Move

Well, the actress I'm interested in doing the lead finally read it and spoke to me about it. I am a little bit concerned about how she always has so many things that get in the way. I remember this from working with her before. I will have to make sure that this is not an issue on this project in advance. She is extra-ordinarily talented and interesting though - but the whole thing could crumble around her.

We've set a reading date for June 7th.

When things go slow, I am having a hard time getting my motivation together to do much of anything. The waiting is like a poison. Do I start something new? Do I just commit to this and start working on storyboards?

In other news - there is an actor who about a year ago we decided would be perfect for a movie that is pretty much everyone's favorite writing sample of mine. I was at a party last weekend (rare for me!) and low and behold - who do I meet? This guy. But only for a brief brief moment and I wouldn't say we instantly bonded. You know how that happens? Well, it didn't. He was on his way out. That's okay. He is apparently a friend of someone I know... and I had no idea. So - I'm going to ask her about getting him the script. Now that I know how long it takes, could be until after I finish the first movie.

In the mean time I'm going to do one more pass/polish on this script - there are just a couple simple things that will take maybe 2 days to do right and then it should be pretty solidly finished. I like it when problems are not structural.

More and more I am thinking about the cyclical nature of storytelling and how a story is finding how much of the circle you are revealing instead of thinking of it as a linear step by step process. Things in life go well, then poorly, then good, then bad... and if it isn't true for life always - it's always true for the stories we tell. That's what makes things interesting... the undulating cyclical nature of stories. Then every element in the story has it's own cycles. And much of what you're deciding is simply how many cycles to show - or what cycle to show.

You could almost say that the "arc" is therfore the curve of the circle. However, usually when people are thinking of arc's they have solid beginnings and ends and I think it might be much more exciting to think of them as not having an end. Even if the audience doesn't know this because the movie ends first... fate will turn again - and I think knowing what happens after the movie is quite exciting for the movie itself. Just like an actor... they want to know 1. where they came from 2. where they are going 3. what they want (why they are there).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, You don't know me, but i was just reading your blog (hope you don't mind). I'm from all the way down in New Zealand and I find what you've been talking about quite interesting.
I dont know much about the whole making movies, but I love movies!It sounds kinda cool. so I thought you should hav like another web page for your movie telling ur audience more about it. I could maybe become your #1 fan. Hehe

(I also noticed that you hadnt had anyone comment on you blog. so I'm sorry for that too if you didnt want any comments.)

The Unknown Filmmaker said...

It's been months since you posted this and I'm very sorry I did not respond sooner. I had no idea anyone had commented. I will have to check the settings for the blog.

I am glad you find what I've been talking about. I am working on a personal site now where I will discuss in more details the process on the projects I am working on as that seems to have become an accepted pracice. However, I'm not positive I will link it to this - though... I've not really said anything about anyone worth staying anonymous about.