Sunday, June 25, 2006

Finding Inspiration

It's been two weeks since my last posting. Took me a while to figure out where I wanted to take this story. I have had projects in the past where everyone wanted a piece of it. So much so that it ended up being torn to shreds. This one is not feeling like that. I sort of feel that while the general response of the reading (especially in follow up discussions) was positive - that no one really cares that much if I finish this. Or make a film. Or become a filmmaker.

When I was younger, people were very excited about it. But I think when you near and cross 30, people start to sort of wish you'd just do something else with your life. They may think you're talented. They may even want to see the stuff you create, but the sense I get from most people is that they wish I'd just let myself live a normal life that wasn't obsessed with this goal.

So. Here I am rewriting a script that I really am not sure anyone cares if I finish. That's one thing I like about writing fantasy - it always seems like it really captures people's imagination much more and they want to visit that world for a while. With drama and even comedy - while they might enjoy the movie, it's never as sexy. It's like suggesting going for an organic salad verses a chocolate Sunday with caramel and chocolate syrup mixed... Well, no matter how much of a healthy eater you are - that Sunday sounds so good!

So here I am mixing a salad together anyway (though I must admit I'm also jotting notes about a very large Sunday as well).

The rewrite is finally coming along. I would very very much like to have it done in the next day or so. There are some placeholder details which are slowing me down. Many times in writing there are things which don't affect the story itself much, but affect the impact of the story.

When I finish I will be sending it to a well known actor who is friends with Famous Friend. Then, I bet, I'll be waiting. However - if I'm committing to making it I can just start preproduction on it anyway. Lining up the locations will be the biggest trick. But the locations (unlike the film I started with this year) are much easier to do.

What I keep longing for is a team. A team of people who would have a vested interest in making this movie happen. I think that will come though after I get it moving. That's my hope at least. And after it is done, hopefully there will be momentum for another. Ideally something I've already written so we can move right into it.

No comments: