Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A New Approach

Considering that the good news this year was getting directing work with the opportunity of maybe getting more for commercials and music videos, I'm taking a new look at what the plan will be.

Instead of rushing in and "shooting just anything" this year just to keep my word, I'm thinking now that my energies might be best spent taking what I've learned from everything this year and applying that to a new project.

The problems I've run into this year with indie projects have been:

- locations too expensive, whether they be specific or not, I need something where I can actually access the locations.

- horror films seem to not really be what I want to define myself with or, frankly, would be willing to deliver the way they need to be delivered in order to be salable (which would be the point of a horror film).

- small, personal dramas with no stars simply are not money well spent and beyond that will have a hard time exciting people. People weren't even READING the damn thing. People who were meant to be involved. People who did liked it, but it obviously shows that the idea is a tough pitch.

- Something totally unique really touched people's interest an imagination.

- Trying to get celebrities without making an offer was a slow and lousy experience.

Anyway - so adding all this up I am thinking of doing two things at once.

1. I will try to get one of my scripts I really love indie financed PRE-actor but with the agreement that the investment can be cancelled without one of the approved actors.

2. I will start writing something which is very "out there" - the kind of thing you just don't see often. Touching and beautiful - the kind of movie I would want to see. I might adjust one of my scripts to be this story, not sure. But it will need locations I can actually access. But costumes and extras I think I could motivate and afford.

The RED camera comes out by May 1. So, that should be when I go into production. Why not? Plenty of time to write and prepare.

In the meantime I am pursuing short form work as well - making demo reel - improving my (real) website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the best for your very "out there" kind of movie. hope u manage to write a great script.
I'm a filmmaking student...came across your blog very recently. Its a pleasure reading it. Reading abour your experiences helps the inexperienced like me.

Anonymous said...

i plan to make a feature at some point, so thanks for sharing your experiences. i guess it always comes back to the script, huh? good luck in 07.

The Unknown Filmmaker said...

Thanks for the comments! It's nice to hear from people who are reading this.

The Unknown Filmmaker said...

I've blogged a new post that gives new web addresses.