Monday, August 07, 2006

Review of Previous Horror Script

Since I am not doing the horror film I sent it out to a company looking for horror projects. Note that one company late last year wanted to buy it - maybe more - so it doesn't totally suck - however, this new company didn't care for it. I had the rare chance to talk to once of the people at the company as to why.

The interesting thing about this discussion was that nothing they said surprised me - it was just whether or not that aspect was a good thing or a bad thing. For example - there isn't a lot of running around and physical danger until the end. Well, I thought that was okay - but for them - that was really a horror film sin. It was around this moment that I realized that if I'm going to write a genre film... I am really going to need to play by the rules. Regardless of whether the movies I've been writing are good or not - I've been making bread and calling it cake. No matter how good the bread - if you're looking for cake - it's going to be disappointing.

The conversation made me leap into jotting some notes down for genre heavy movies which play exactly by the rules. I will have to do this for fun at some point and to test my theory now that I seem to have places to send the scripts to. But I would almost say every movie I've written is a genre bender. Maybe not the best career move.

Furthermore... it made me think that maybe what I really need to do is totally leave genre all together - just go on a wild ride of my own and see if I find an audience.

But for now - with the music videos finally over - I'm just about done with the rewrite. Next couple days max. Finally. I am letting some stumbling blocks go - meaning not trying to add in something I thought would be good but just don't seem to be happening. Once I'm moving forward I will address this again.

In other news, I got a call to direct something in September. I like being called to direct. Makes me feel like I do this professionally. :)

No comments: