Thursday, March 02, 2006

Phoned the Agent

Okay - so it took me like 2 hours to get up the courage to call... and then the phone call lasted about 30 seconds... after I phoned and reached the receptionist.

ME
Hello may I speak to [agent].

RECEPTION
Please hold.

AGENT'S ASSITANT
[agent's name] office.

ME
Hello. I have an independent film called [NAME] for which we would like to offer the lead role to [actress name].

There is a little bit of a lull and it sounds like she's typing something else. Sensing that I haven't wowed her and that I need to take the initiative I start to speak - she does as well, I say:

ME
Go ahead.

AGENT ASSISTANT
No, please go ahead.

ME
Would you like me to e-mail the script and the offer?

AGENT ASSISTANT
Either e-mail or hand delivering is best.

ME
Is one preferred?

AGENT ASSISTANT
You know, it doesn't matter.

ME
I'll email it, may I have the email address?

AGENT ASSISTANT
Absolutely.

So! There you go. That's what happens when you call an agent. Now, I could have pushed to talk to the agent, I could have tried to sell myself or the project more, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have a lot to sell on the project. Not until I have someone attached.

So now I'm about to make my offer letter and email the script and offer. I should have had this prepared, but it will probably only take me a moment to create since I know the details.

Now, the real trick will be get them to do something about it!

No comments: