Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Facing Challenges

I'm being totally distracted. I have to say it, because I have to admit it. This is a wake up call entry for myself. Say the true state of things so I can address them.

Currently:

  • I'm doing too much work that is not related to this movie. Yes, it's great that it seems my other company (which does involve directing) is going to have a great year. However, it is terrible that it is distracting me from doing important things to prepare this movie and I'd better learn to discipline myself now.
  • I'm helping my "famous friend" on her pilot auditions, she's going to network on one apparently. She can't read my script until this coming weekend. I decided to wait on her response just because I felt (and confirmed with one of my producer consultants) that since I have literally nothing else in my corner (no agent, production company, distributor), I should have something that makes me seem like not a total outsider. (Actually I do have a manager who is well connected and such, but that is not related to this project really. I suppose I could ask him to make some calls on my behalf, but that would turn him into a producer and I'm not sure he wants that and I'm not sure I need that. I'll surely use him as a reference if need be.)
  • I'm concerned about the time it might take these other actors to read the script and commit and will that allow me enough time prepare the production - more so, will it allow enough time for my production team to prepare. Also - if it takes a month to get a "no." That's going to be an issue as it will leave me very little time to find someone new. I should probably decide at some point what my minimum "name" requirement for going into production will be. I believe this script will make a good movie. I cannot market it as "the grossest" or "sexiest" or "blackest" or "gayest" or "religious" or "anti-religious" or... "cheapest" or... "most expensive" or... "most surreal" "most punk" "most conservative" "most liberal" - etc. There is no exploitable angle on it. This makes me feel like I need a name cast. A name cast will substitute as the exploitable angle. Note to people who can't get a cast for their film. Ask yourself what your exploitable angle is.
My attention in the next few days for this project is to start getting a really solid break down on the script from a production point of view. This is something someone else could do, but I don't have anyone on staff yet to do it, so it's something I will do.

For "the other project" - I mentioned a friend of my "famous friend" to her and she agreed to take the script to him. I want to bounce him off a couple people, but I think it's totally unique casting and a part he would never get normally and thus might be interested.

I still need to do this movie first.... though... as a back up option, it wouldn't hurt. If not a back-up, it becomes a follow-up.

No comments: