Thursday, January 26, 2006

Another Producer's Perspective

Just spoke with the prolific producer and he had a few interesting thoughts. I'll keep them bullet pointed and simple:
  • Horror is good now despite what anyone says.
  • Currently in the industry the middle ground stars are starting to go away. It's a big pay day star and then everyone else. Backend offers are becoming more and more common.
  • I should call agents myself and not even worry about a lawyer's work on it. The deal will be the deal. A one page memo deal - the rest will be the SAG contract and that's not negotiable anyway. (I thought this was interesting actually.) He is emailing me over a pay or play offer deal which I can base my offer on.
  • Expect weeks of trouble getting a response from an agency. They are not super excited about scale offers despite the back end. That's going to be the hurdle.
  • Absolutely focus on name talent. Non name talent movies are very difficult in today's market. He thought the names were okay - not super strong. Wanted me to put my "famous friends" in as much as possible.
So - obviously - some different thoughts than other people. That'll happen. No one has all the answers.

I'm still working on how much backend to offer and how to work backend offers in to crew.

No comments: