Sunday, January 01, 2006

An Introduction

At this point no one knows I'm writing this, so I guess I'm introducing myself in advance to anyone who discovers this blog in the future.



Why "Unknown"?

Mostly because this is not a blog about me. It's a blog about you. You have talked about making a movie. Told all your friends your ideas and how you would make movies better. You've studied movies all your life, you know film, you're ready.

So why haven't you made one?

And this is me. Maybe like you - or maybe like you in a few months or a few years. You've had the singular goal so long that you've started to question if the only thing holding you back is fear.

So, go ahead and say it. "I am making a movie this year."

I hope this blog has some inspiration and perhaps a little education for you as I go through this process.

I hope by remaining anonymous I'm able to keep my and other people's ego out of this and share true experiences.


Why Me?

While I literally am an "unknown filmmaker," I have lived in Los Angeles for many years and have worked on countless films and even made a great number of "industry contacts."

But then I'm not like you?

Well, let me tell you one thing. Unless you're the writer or director or star on a successful or notably discussed motion picture. No one cares. If the movie was hugely successful, you can be the producer or maybe the editor and people will care. That's the way it is right now at least in 2006. Wasn't always like that. I've sat in meetings with studio executives who have literally ten times fewer film credits than I have and yet... They don't care. They are the ones in power in that room. That's okay. They're right. They're serving the purpose of their bosses and their bosses are trying to make successful movies for the company and they have a lot of things to worry about like stockholders and making money. And let me mention something. I spent a year meeting studio executives and every single one of them was very nice. Not once did I encounter anyone who I thought was arrogant or stupid. They are all smart and charming and I enjoyed the conversations.

I am not saying I like all the movies these studios make though. I think there has been a huge generification (I can make up words, it's my blog) of movies is largely due to too many people exerting their own ideas onto projects and the project then losing focus. Really nice people can do this too. But good drama requires specific focus. It's not about flash or flares or timewarps or effects or gun shooting or being drugged up in London - good drama comes dramatic situations. People who can find create that in movies have extra value.

One more thing about all the executives I met: None of them were ever going to be able to give me my first film directing job. Wasn't going to happen. Not for me. Not for you. Took me a year to realize this. One more year of having some reason that I did not get a movie made.

But everyone has one advantage. I think it's really important to find that out and exploit it for all it's worth. Do you have access to a video store after hours? A feature's worth of black and white film left over from another movie? A cabin in the woods? A really talented friend who is endlessly entertaining? Whatever it is - use it.

And what is your weakness? Figure that out and try to turn it around to work in your favor.

I hope that I can use any access or knowledge or experience I've gained and share it with everyone as I go through this process.


Things Are Changing

When I was growing up, my real bonding experience with my father was visiting him on an occasional weekend, eating "It's it's" and watching Siskel & Ebert review movies. And eventually when I realized I wanted to a filmmaker more than anything else, I told myself that I may never win an Academy Award because there is a lot of luck that goes into that - but I would definitely want to get "two thumbs up" from Siskel and Ebert.

Maybe it sounds strange that I wanted something like that with such a passion - but all the things we want, we invent for ourselves to want. And I wanted that. And it will never happen.

No offense to Roeper, I have actually never seen him as I haven't had a TV since Siskel died - but it was a childhood dream.

Someday the Academy Awards may be a footnote in the memory of filmmaker. The word "filmmaking" may even be retired as everyone begins to shoot on digital formats whether it be the Genesis, D20, Kinetta, Red, or whatever else gets invented. It will happen. You can follow all that development on sites like www.hdforindies.com, www.cinematech.blogspot.com, "www.cinematography.com, www.cinematography.net, and so forth. There are many.

Distribution will change. Films will be a much larger variety in length. People will probably program their own video channels which will be base don their own likes and dislikes not dissimilar to www.pandora.com for music.

Everything is changing constantly. And it's really exciting. But guess what? It's been happening for years. VHS changed the way people thought about movies. Killed the revival house market and drive-in theaters. Sound and color were both added to movies at one point. It's constantly changing.

I am coming to terms with the fact that the movie industry I dreamed of being a part of as a child no longer exists.

And that's okay. Like all things that exist - including you and me - they are constantly evolving, changing.

So, focus on the now. Right now, you do know what exists in a practical sense. Plan for now. Don't waste your life anticipating and waiting for the next big thing.

If you wait too long, you'll miss out on the things you dreamed about anyway. And eventually, it won't be just Siskel who has passed away.

You want to make a movie?

Make one. I'll make mine. You make yours. We'll meet at the pass.

Welcome to my blog.

No comments: