Saturday, January 14, 2006

Why not bring on a Producer?

This is a valid question. I'm not adverse to this - but let me explain why I haven't.

Any person you involve in your production has just as much power to slow you down as they do to speed you up. I've been involved in projects in the past with a variety of producers and found myself waiting on answers from them or their contacts and usually the result was an apologetic "They didn't go for it."

What I'd rather have is a group of people who are very dedicated to making the movie in a very specific quantifiable function - but no one for whom I end up needing to wait on.

It's sort of like having a roommate. Suddenly your apartment is shared. The advantage is that you have someone to hang out with whom you have something in common. The disadvantage is that you sort of need to get permission to do certain things now and then... like if you suddenly feel the need to redecorate.

Ideally someone will emerge as a producer organically. Someone who is getting things done and really adding value. I will definitely be getting help from a lot of producers though. And I'll share all the advice.

No comments: