Friday, January 13, 2006

Organizing the Effort

Last year I did a rewrite of this script when a friend picked it out of a bunch of movies which he thought he could help raise financing. He ended up getting hired on for a job which few could turn down - but it is very much our conversations and the affirmation of this project as being a solid one which has been a great motivating factor.

Before I move onto today's subject matter, I should mention something. I don't really like horror films in general. I was once on a set watching a bunch of monsters fighting and I shook my head and shared to my friend there: "I could never direct a movie with a bunch of rubber monsters bumping against each other. I just don't see it as believable. Obviously, they're monsters, but I don't see it as scary or exciting, it seems so silly." My friend responded, "Then maybe you're the perfect person to direct one because then you will have to push yourself harder than someone who loves it and believes it right off."

Now, this horror film is not filled with rubber monsters, but I think the principle holds true. I am not really directing a horror film as I am a drama which takes place under horrific circumstances. It won't be touted as the "grossest film in cinema history" though. It's not that kind of film.


So, time to organize the effort:

Things I need to line up:

The Location
The Start Date
The Cast
The Budget

And that's the order in which I'll try to arrange them all.

Getting cast is an interesting thing. It's always the chicken or the egg situation. How do you get a cast without a budget?

Well, here is my plan. I have a lot of confidence in the cast I've selected. I don't know really if I'll be able to get them. I'm getting estimates from friends as to what I can offer them without being laughed at. But I'm going to back those offers with my own money.

I decided a couple years ago not to buy a house and instead keep some money to make a movie. Now, little did I know that real estate in Los Angeles would triple in the last three years. (Not an exaggeration, sigh.) But I could back up my offer with the money I would have spent on that house. I think that with them attached (even if pay or play) I could probably interest investors without much troubles. As an insurance provision, I would simply invest the rest myself. I might not have much left over. I might have none left over, but have you ever noticed that most every filmmaker lately has gotten their start by directing something from their last dime?

Hey - life is short and I've waited a while.

No comments: