Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Choosing a Project

One of my friends (who I seem to have lost touch with) directed a successful documentary, but he really wanted to direct features. He had a notable agent who would bring him scripts which fit very well into the genre of film that his documentary was in. But my friend turned them all down. He finally decided he'd write his own. But he never did.

It's a thin line between knowing if this phenomenon is simply not liking the material or fearing actually making something.

I directed something last year which a lot of people liked enough that a few people were bringing me scripts and I thought all of them needed a lot of work. So much work, that I felt like I'd rather write my own. Fortunately, I have a few scripts that I've written over the years and still own the rights to.

So, why not just pick one and make it?

Well, that's a great question! Because this is what happens:

THE UNKNOWN FILLMMAKER has just looked through a few of his scripts and picked one which he felt would the simplest one to shoot. Least locations, smallest cast - yet it still has good drama. It's a horror film.

THE UNKNOWN FILMMAKER
Okay - This is it. I'll do this horror film.

PRODUCER FRIEND
Horror films are out now.

THE UNKNOWN FILMMMAKER
Oh. Bad timing. Well.... I guess this romantic comedy is the next least locations and --

PRODUCER FRIEND
Romantic comedies are always a tough sell without a cast. And even then - very hit or miss.

ARTIST FRIEND
(chiming in)
You should make something you're really passionate about. You're going to spend a year of your life on this - You should make something you really really care about.

THE UNKNOWN FILMMAKER
Well, I spent a few months writing these already... so I care about them.

ARTIST FRIEND
But is that really the story you would tell... if you only had one movie to tell ever?

THE UNKNOWN FILMMAKER
No - I guess it would be one of these other films, but they're very expensive.

ARTIST FRIEND
Yes - but you're passion with that project will bring money. Maybe it will bring the talent and the talent will bring the money.

FILMMAKER FRIEND
You should put your FAMOUS FRIEND in the movie and then get some financing based on that!

THE UNKNOWN FILMMAKER
But none of the movies I have here really have a lead role for her.

FILMMAKER FRIEND
Well, write one then.
So you have three friends here who care very much for you. They are trying to help and protect you. But what they've really done is totally stop you. They've given you additional tasks to do instead of remove barriers.

(Yes, I'm using "you" and "me" interchangeably.)

I do actually have a "famous friend" and I have actually have had a problem writing something for her. I spent several months last year working on a couple things. One thing is now being considered as a TV show which it is probably more suited for. The other I couldn't finish. Well, I finished it, but I just didn't feel like it was so incredible that I had to make it. So instead of making a movie last year, I spent my time writing new material and meeting with executives (and occasionally actually working), and searching for material when I felt my own wasn't working and it didn't lead me to my goal.

But I'm letting people sway me. Why? Fear.

Right at the end of the year I kept thinking "should I do project A or project B?" Again and again asking myself. I finally realized. I'll do both. Just doing one first.

There is no magic genre that will make a directing career for me. I truly believe that any project you do, you put your heart into and it becomes a reflection of something personal. And do I really want to make my most favorite project as my first film? There is something to be said for learning. I'll have to gamble that I'll live long enough to make a few films. As for my Famous Friend... Maybe there is someway to leverage that - but if not. She's a wonderful friend and I benefit everyday even if she isn't in my movie.

So... time to choose a project.

No comments: